Learn How To Play the Harp !
In Your Home, Library, School, Recreational Center, Church, Hospital…
Sonia Marie Olivas is an experienced music teacher. During the 10+ years of teaching harp classes, she has developed a teaching style that is custom made for each student. Online Music Classes available via Skype at Sonia Marie Olivas. This is great for those that are unable to attend the class due to vacation, relocation…
Her music teaching studio is located at The Lutheran Resurrection Church. 9812 Hamilton Ave., Huntington Beach, CA 92646
You are invited to the Fall Harp Student Recital on Saturday, Dec. 10th at 1pm in the Chapel of St. Andrews Church. Click Here for more details!
“All is going very well. Sonia is professional and has a nice way about her… she has just the right level of seriousness for my daughter, Anastasia. I am seeing a lot of progress! Overall, I am very impressed and happy with the (music) lessons as well as the results.” – Kathy Lukianov
“ Truman’s (music) lessons are a positive experience and we look forward to each lesson…”- Gaylin Allbaugh
” She (Sonia) is a dedicated teacher and excellent at what she does. Caroline loves her…thanks so much !”- Carol Colvin
Private ( 1 ) $ 60 per hour (studio) $75 per hour (travel )
Group Classes (2-5 students)
* Tuition : $375 for 12 One Hour
* Days & Times : Monday – Friday (afternoon & evening) Saturday (morning)
* Harp Rental: (not included with tuition) * ask teacher for resources
* Books: Subject to Instrument and Level (not included with tuition)
* Recitals: September, December and June (included with tuition)
* Harp Rental Description: Lever, Celtic, Therapy, Harpsicle, Sharpsicle… 24 strings-40 strings. (inquire within)
Attire: Wear comfortable clothing as the harp will rest on your shoulder and between legs.
Example: Bottoms- Pants, Knee Length Shorts or Long skirt (with lots of slack). Tops- Cover shoulders, fitted sleeves above wrist. No visible zippers, buttons, glitter.
Books: Suzuki Harp Volume 1 with CD – Order Online (Amazon, Suzuki..)
* student supplied Teacher will have first lesson on first class.
Materials: Journal Ruled Notebook for class notes and assignments. *student supplied
Days: Saturday Time: 11:00 am-12:00 pm Dates: January 4th – March 21st
Tuition: $375 (12 classes). * can be broken up monthly due the 1st of the month. ($125)
Harp : 26-36 strings, C lever and F lever or full levers.
Location: Resurrection Lutheran Church
9812 Hamilton Ave., Huntington Beach 92646
Payments: Please make all Cash/Check payments made out to Sonia Olivas. Venmo payments: harpenchants. Credit card or Paypal, an additional 3% fee will be added.
Makeup Policy: There will be no makeups unless class is cancelled. The teacher will arrange a makeup within 3 months. In the event an arrangement can’t be made then the student will be reimbursed the amount of the cancelled class.
Cancellation Policy : The student must notify the teacher 30 days in writing for cancelling classes.* Group Classes are exempt.
Music Education Sonia Marie Olivas has graduated from California State University of Northridge with B.A. degree in Music an emphasis on Early Childhood Education and World Music. She has studied under the expert tutelage of such talents as Maria Casale (Juilliard School of Music), Susan Allen (California Arts Institute), Alfredo Rolando Ortiz (internationally acclaimed Paraguayan Harpist), Stella Castelluci (renown pop & jazz harpist), and Christina Tourin (International Harp Therapy Director).
* The musician is constantly adjusting decision on tempo, tone, style, rhythm, phrasing, and feeling-training the brain to become incredibly good at organizing and conducting numerous activities at once. Dedicated practice of this orchestration can have a great payoff for lifelong attentional skills, intelligence, and an ability for self-knowledge and expression. Ratey John J., MD. A User’s Guide to the Brain. New York: Pantheon Books, 2001.
* Music can regulate higher brain function, language and the development of speech. Music can modify posture and create an emotional atmosphere that decreases stress. Dr. Alfred Tomatis
* A Rockefeller Foundation study discovered that music majors have the highest rate of admittance to medical schools, followed by biochemistry and the humanities.
Other Helpful Links: American Music Conference, M.E.N.C.