Sonia Marie Olivas is an experienced music teacher. During the 10 plus years of teaching harp, piano, flute, and hand bells classes in Orange County, she has developed a teaching style that is custom made for each student. Online Music Classes available via Zoom. Learn how to play a musical instrument in your home, library, church, senior center, school or hospital.
Her music teaching studio is located at 9812 Hamilton Ave., Huntington Beach, CA 92646. She is also available to teach in Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Newport Beach and surrounding areas throughout Orange County.
You are invited to the Summer Harp, Piano, and Flute Student Recital on June 17th, 2019 in the Chapel of St. Andrews Church. Click Here for more details!
* Piano : Ages 5 to 100 * Music genres : Classical, Latin, Celtic, Pop/Rock, Disney, Broadway... * Music Class : Performance, Technique and Theory skills. * Private ( 1 ) & Group ( 2-5 )* Recitals : December & June* Afternoon, Evening and Weekend Classes * Certificates: Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Great for College Applications!) * Performance Opportunities: Orange County Philharmonic Society's Cameo Committee, Resurrection Lutheran Church, Assisted Senior Facilities, Farmer's Markets and more!
~ Music Class Testimonials ~
“All is going very well. Sonia is professional and has a nice way about her… she has just the right level of seriousness for my daughter, Anastasia. I am seeing a lot of progress! Overall, I am very impressed and happy with the (music) lessons as well as the results.” – Kathy Lukianov
“ Truman’s (music) lessons are a positive experience and we look forward to each lesson…”- Gaylin Allbaugh
” She (Sonia) is a dedicated teacher and excellent at what she does. Caroline loves her…thanks so much !”- Carol Colvin
Music Teacher Bio: Sonia Marie Olivas has graduated from California State University of Northridge with B.A. degree in Music an emphasis on Early Childhood Education and World Music. She has studied under the expert tutelage of such talents as Maria Casale (Juilliard School of Music), Susan Allen (California Arts Institute), Alfredo Rolando Ortiz (internationally acclaimed Paraguayan Harpist), Stella Castelluci (renown pop & jazz harpist), and Christina Tourin (International Harp Therapy Director).
Music Benefits* Music appreciation students scored 63 points higher on the verbal and 44 points higher on the math for the SAT. College-Bound Seniors National Report: Profile of SAT Program Test Takers, The College Entrance Examination Board, Princeton, New Jersey.
* The musician is constantly adjusting decision on tempo, tone, style, rhythm, phrasing, an feeling-training the brain to become incredibly good at organizing and conducting numerous activities at once. Dedicated practice of this orchestration can have a great payoff for lifelong attentional skills, intelligence, and an ability for self-knowledge and expression. Ratey John J., MD. A User’s Guide to the Brain. New York: Pantheon Books, 2001.
* Music can regulate higher brain function, language and the development of speech. Music can modify posture and create an emotional atmosphere that decreases stress. Dr. Alfred Tomatis
* A Rockefeller Foundation study discovered that music majors have the highest rate of admittance to medical schools, followed by biochemistry and the humanities.
Other Helpful Links: American Music Conference, M.E.N.C.
* Levels All Ages: (Beginning, Intermediate & Advance)
* Days & Times : Monday – Friday (afternoon & evening) Saturday (8:30am-1:30pm) and Sunday (TBD).
* Books: Subject to Instrument and Level (not included with tuition)
* Recitals: December 1st week and June 2nd week (included with tuition)
* Piano/Keyboard : (not included with tuition)
Private Zoom Class ( 1 ) $ 50 per hour (studio) $75 per hour (travel )
Group Class (2-5 students) $375 for 12 One Hour *Offered in September 2020
“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” Plato